About the course
The Master of Arts in Education (MA Ed.) from Liverpool John Moores University, UK, offers a critical multi-disciplinary approach for those with a professional and personal interest in education. If you are already working as a teacher or planning to one day, this programme will provide you with a unique opportunity to develop your knowledge about education policy and future pedagogy by providing you with the ability to explore and analyze social, political, historical, philosophical, and cultural issues in education. The programme also includes practical teaching opportunities which give you the chance to immerse yourself in real school contexts while developing your own pedagogical practice.
Educational aims of the programme
- To provide a critical and analytical framework for students to engage with academic concepts, theories, debates, and research in the globally multidisciplinary education study.
- To equip students with a critical awareness of key theoretical debates and issues, enabling them to develop an advanced understanding and an evaluative and ethical position concerning education and social justice issues.
- To provide a range of learning activities and experiences as a critical context for intellectual development, enabling students to critically engage with research in a way that is applicable and relevant to their academic and practice context.
- To enable students to reflect on and challenge their own and others’ values and assumptions to promote socially just policy and inclusive and ethical practice in education.
Speak to our Admission Team
About Westford University College
Westford University College is one of the leading and prestigious business schools, located in the UAE offering quality educational deliveries across undergraduate, graduate, doctorate and vocational professional programs carrying significant value and recognition from awarding bodies and accredited universities having its presence in the UK, US, Africa, India and UAE. WUC’s strategic partnerships and understanding of evolving industry requirements and deep analysis of economic realities ensure that they offer a meaningful and diverse portfolio of management, fashion and technology-based programs. We also have entered into alliance with Liverpool John Moores University, UK, Cardiff Metropolitan University, UK, Canterbury Christ Church University, UK, University of Gloucestershire, UK and Girne American University, North Cyprus and UCAM in Spain. Over thousands of students from more than 116 different countries are studying with Westford forming a learning community that promotes critical thinking, experiential learning, innovation and enterprise.
The institution has been recognized for its excellence in educational delivery and efficient learning pedagogies and has received several accolades since its inception. WUC has been recognised by Forbes Middle East in 2019 and have also received awards from MENAA for Best Corporate Brand’ 2019, Asian Education Leadership Award for ‘Asia’s Best Emerging Business School’, Middle East’s ‘Best International Business College in 2017, Global Brands Magazine Awards 2020 for Fastest Growing Online MBA Provider, Great Place to Work 2020 and Rank #1 as the Great Place to work for women in the GCC-2020. Westford University College ranked as 24th in Asia by Great Places to Work, 2021. Westford University College won BTEC International Institution Of The Year 2021 Silver Award at Pearson’s Annual BTEC Awards.
ABOUT LIVERPOOL JOHN MOORES UNIVERSITY
Taking the name from one of Liverpool’s great entrepreneurs and philanthropists, Sir John Moores, LJMU became one of the UK’s new Universities. LJMU is an ambitious and forward thinking institution that challenges convention and believes passionately in the concept of ‘One University’ – a community working together to achieve common student-centered objectives within a clear strategy.
The University believes in the power of education to drive transformation across social, cultural and economic boundaries.With a heritage that stretches back to 1823, LJMU is now one of the largest and well-established universities in the UK. Not content to rest on the laurels, University is constantly looking ahead to develop even further, with ambitious plans for the development of the campus as well.
LJMU has established international partnerships and collaborative links which support various key strands of business such as teaching, research and bilateral student and staff mobility.
MA Education (180 credits) – 1 Year Full Time Master’s Program
A Post Graduate Diploma in Education (120 credits). A Post Graduate Certificate in Education (60 credits).
Duration : 1 Year Full Time Program
Candidates are required to meet the following criteria as a minimum:
- Have a first degree – classification, usually a minimum of 2.2 Honours or equivalent, of a UK university or equivalent overseas qualification; ideally in a relevant subject, e.g. Education, Social Policy, Childhood, Community Development, Health or International Studies. Or
- For non-standard entry, applicants need to demonstrate a comparable academic standard through past studies and 12 months of relevant work experience, along with a genuine passion and interest in the critical study of education in its broadest sense.
- IELTS score of 6.0 overall.
Applicants who have successfully completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (International) (PGCEi) with Unicaf as the approved Teaching Institution may be considered for advanced entry into the MA Education. The PGCEi would count as 60 credits towards the MA Education programme with exemptions for:
- Competing Philosophies of Education (20 credits)
- The Critically Reflective Practitioner (20 credits)
- Education, Globalisation and Social Justice (20 credits)
- Students will need to complete the following modules once they join the MA Education: Education, Society and Culture (20 credits)